There’s no denying that social media is an important marketing tool. But which platforms do you need to promote your business and brand? Facebook is still at the top, and Twitter is also an important channel to use. But Instagram is fast becoming the go-to social media app —for both personal and business use.
Here’s what you need to know to make Instagram work for you:
What is Instagram? Instagram is a free mobile photo and video sharing app with over 500 million daily users. More than 25 million companies worldwide are using Instagram for business. And more than 200 million users visit at least one business profile per day. So what does that mean for business marketing? Use Instagram to highlight products, share business accomplishments, events, parties and more.
Setting Up a Business Account
If you have a personal Instagram account, you can convert it to a business account. This lets you keep your existing followers. Or, you can set up a brand-new account focused on your business.
Quick tip: When you set up your Instagram account, use the same username as your Twitter account, if possible, so that when your content is tagged and shared on Twitter, the @username links to your Twitter bio.
Defining Your Target Market
Once your account is set up, look at who you want to market to. Most Instagram users are under 35, with a close split between male and female users.
- When defining your target market think about:
- Who already buys from you?
- What’s your competitor doing?
- What statement do you want to make about your brand/product/service?
Instagram is a visual medium, so you want to think about what kind of images to post. You want your followers to engage with your product. Instagram is about everyday people taking everyday pictures.
What to Post?
As mentioned above, Instagram is different from other platforms in that is very visual.
- Posting the right content with the right attitude is crucial to engagement. You can offer sneak peeks at news products or lines. Give your followers something exclusive.
- Cute sells. The internet loves cuteness. Cute animals with funny quotes are a category that almost always goes viral, so don’t be afraid to go cute.
- Show off your business. Announce new hires, show off your staff and highlight what’s fun and unique about your business or office.
- Focus on Customers and Service. What special things do you do for your customers? Sharing with followers can help them connect to your business in a fun and personal way.
Commit to a Regular Posting Schedule
Consistent posting is key to engagement. Once you start building a following, your fans will expect to see posts on a regular basis. As with other platforms, you should schedule posts at regular intervals. You may also need to do some experimenting to find out what time of day is best for engaging the greatest number of followers.
If you need help with Instagram or any social media marketing needs, Farmhouse Creative is here for you.